Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Bob Dylan

Last night I went to see Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard at the Beacon Theatre. It was awesome. Bob is always awesome. I generally go by myself to his shows for the same reason I go to Star Wars movies by myself...because I don't want anyone along to harsh my mellow. I don't want to hear how bored someone is, or how overpriced it was, or even worry about whether they're thinking it and not saying anything. I just want to sit and stare with rapt attention and leave glowing. Maybe cry a little. No harm, no foul. On this tour Dylan is playing a keyboard and harmonica instead of the guitar, which is new and different. As always he is old and sagging but he's still riveting to me. I found myself just staring through my binoculars nearly the whole time, even between songs when I should have been clapping, just to see him go to the side and blow his nose (heaven!) and shuffle his feet and wave his hands around, spry and skipping. And in the dark, from behind, he became his younger self again.

The cool thing about his concerts is that he remakes his songs every year. It never sounds the same as the record, usually not even close. There are just (most of) the lyrics and some of the motifs of the music, and the rest is largely transformed. The part I don't like about it is when it's transformed into lounge music, but it's his right to do that and I'm sure some people love it. That only happened on two of the songs last night. Most of it was loud and rocking. He never did pick up the guitar, though there was one sitting there teasing us. After the encore I was wishing that the band would go offstage and he would pick up the guitar and do an acoustic solo version of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time." No dice though.

The Beacon is pretty small, so even though I was in the front of the rear balcony I was pretty close. I suppose I'll never get closer than I was at the Towson State University Gymnasium in 2000, standing probably ten rows back. I can't believe he even played there, it had those rolling wood bleachers and "1986 Champions" banners and everything. I wholeheartedly recommend that venue.

Merle Haggard was a great opener. Merle Haggard?!? He had a lot of fans in the audience. He had what, eight band members? And who knows what history those guys have seen. Those are some experienced gentlemen there. They had my foot and tap-tap-tapping. They managed to walk the line between slavish traditionalism and the sort of je ne sais quoi that makes today's country too cheesy for my taste. I found the other opener, Amos Lee, cheesy. I wish I could explain why.

Ok well let me know if you want to go to the new Star Wars and not make fun of it and say it was awesome.

5 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, April 28, 2005, Blogger Jim said...

I don't know about harshing your mellow, but I probably would have at least marshed it.

I am so tempted to go see the new Star Wars movie in the theater, even though I'm 87% sure it will suck. We better not see it together, I guess.

I was thinking about seeing this Dylan show, but I'm glad I did not. I haven't ever seen him live, and I think it would have really disappointed me that he didn't play guitar. But I'm glad you enjoyed it (love the image of you sitting there with binoculars strapped to your face).

 
At 8:45 PM, May 03, 2005, Blogger The Village Idiot said...

Bob and Merle must have been fantastic! Two great artists still at it after all these years. This is my first trip to your blog, I'll definitely be back!

Thanks for sharing!
The Idiot

 
At 11:51 AM, May 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge, embarrassingly, Bob Dylan fan. You need only go to gropus.google.com, search for rec.music.dylan to see a whole world of people who worship at the altar of Bob... I've been known to post there way too much during a certain Dylan discovery phase of mine.

So, have you seen "Don't Look Back"?

Thanks for the description of the concert, sorry I missed it!

 
At 11:52 AM, May 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, I meant, groups.google.com, not GROPUS!

 
At 4:09 PM, May 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool report of the Dylan concert -- cool blog.

I went to the last Star Wars film alone and really missed having someone to share my disappointment with. I could tell that the whole audience was disappointed but nobody seemed to want to talk about it, even with their friends. The silence was creepy. Maybe it was just shock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home