Friday, April 22, 2005

grossest thing ever?

I guess I should be happy that I never get cockroaches in my house, I only get what some have colorfully termed "palmetto bugs." Even though they look like massive roaches in every way (except that they fly), supposedly they are a different creature, and for my sanity I have tried to think of them as something innocuous. Like a beetle. I'm not scared or disgusted by beetles, only a little startled sometimes. Why can't I have beetles in my house instead? One gross thing you may have noticed about palmetto/waterbugs is that when you crush them you don't see nice red blood or even goo, you see something like dirty fryer oil coming out of them. That's just gross to me, to think of an animal that circulates oil instead of blood. Though I guess I should feel good about it, the way I feel good about biodiesel. However yesterday morning I saw something you probably have never seen. I was running the bath till the water got hot and then I turned on the shower and opened the curtain to step in but was met with a belly-up waterbug (not doing very well in the water, by the way) flailing around in its death-throes. I feared turning the water off, knowing that they can fly and run really fast, so I stood there deliberating a minute and watching it. Soon it took a shit. It discharged this oily inky substance out its roach butt. Quite a lot of it too. I've heard that humans let out all their intestinal contents when they die, and I guess roaches do too, because that's what happened. It was a new level of gross, it really was.

3 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, April 22, 2005, Blogger jamie said...

i'm reminded of a joke involving dead babies and trash cans that's probably best left un-re-told. to me, it's hard to top an eyeball popping out of a socket (as on last night's "ER").

 
At 7:55 PM, April 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God. Oh God. Oh. No. That is so not right.

I am terrified, terrified of cockroaches/waterbugs/Palmetto bugs, whatever they are. I saw a huge waterbug at work the other day, thankfully already dead and on its back, but still - just HUGE. Ugh.

 
At 10:24 PM, May 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd never seen them tll I mved to NYC and man, can those little fuckers move! I became convinced in my last apartment that they hold grudges and never forget a face.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home