Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Spelling Bee Page Six

Prospect Heights was all "abuzz" last week for the fourth Novelty Adult Competitive Spelling Bee at Freddy's Bar and Backroom. At 23 entrants, it was the biggest turnout yet. And was anyone there not a blogger? Emcee Josh Reynolds has one, as does Heather. Jimmylegs was there, with his new gf, and did I spot two of his exes as well? They're exemplars of "staying friends." And Douglas was there too, with his new gf! Cute! Books blogger Alison spelled well as usual, accompanied by man-friend Karl. I also saw que sera sera Sarah, and a big group of Very Young Lesbians. (Jill Krementz take note, that could be a good new book project for you.) Former spelling champ Linus was conspicuously absent. We spelled for three contests, I'm not sure who won since I was having a lot of attention deficits. I do know that I nearly won, but was robbed! when the other finalist was given the pedestrian "eohippus"-an evolutionary precursor to the horse, while I was saddled (no pun intended) with some greek word, I don't even know what it was, some kind of pointy hat thing I've never heard of. My embarrassing moment came when I tried to spell "narcoticism" and couldn't-- I tried it as "narcotocism" saying, "it has an o, like erotocism!" not noticing that that isn't how you spell eroticism either. I might have saved myself. Last night apparently the Jane Pauley Show went to Freddy's in order to film Knit Night in action. As a friend pointed out, Jane Pauley going to Freddy's sort of points to us now being in The End Times. Surely the plague of locusts is next. After walking home after work through icy pellets digging in to my face, the idea of leaving the house again was just more than I could bear. If anyone went to the event I would love to know how it turned out. Bloggily yours, Kathy

6 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, March 01, 2005, Blogger Josh said...

Thank god you can remember this stuff becasue I sure can't.

 
At 2:47 PM, March 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane Pauly's nose looks fucked in that big picture of her on that site. What happened?

 
At 4:26 PM, March 03, 2005, Blogger Kathy said...

Karl I've noticed that you: use colons a lot. I don't know what's up with Jane's nose. I'm still trying to pinpoint why exactly Salma Hayek looked so unlike herself on Sunday. Bangs?

 
At 4:31 PM, March 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colons are just damned funny. At least they're funny to me.

 
At 8:10 PM, March 08, 2005, Blogger Sarah Brown said...

If I ever start a band, I'm gonna call it Sarah and the Very Young Lesbians.

 
At 12:19 AM, October 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,

I'm the director of the speech/debate/drama team at College of the Canyons. We're considering using some of the material from this blog entry.
All material performed at tournaments is not for the sake of any commercial venture, completely non-profit, and wholly for the purpose of higher education.

Per our rules and artistic/ethical considerations, we always attribute the name of the author of all published works. If you would like to be credited as Kathy, let me know. Otherwise, if you could please reply with your real name or another "pen" name that you desire.

And thanks for an entertaining read about spelling bees.

--Thanks for your consideration,
Michael Leach
Department of Communication Studies
Director of Forensics
College of the Canyons
michael.leach@canyons.edu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home