Wednesday, February 09, 2005

trivia report: Bait and Tackle

Last night KE and I tried out the new trivia night at the new Bait and Tackle bar in Red Hook. It was a pretty good event I guess. There was no entrance fee and I think if you win you get a $50 ($15?) bar tab. If you come in last you get a novelty canned food product. We wouldn't know exactly, since we weren't quite first or last. The bar was pleasingly plump, not bursting at the seams with people. I would say maybe 10 teams? And one team was the Right Hon. Dr. Fact himself, emcee of the Buttermilk Trivia night, and his girlfriend the bartender whose name I don't know, and his musical accompanist Scott, and their event-specific bartender Francis. There is a team limit of 4 persons. We only had 2 because we were so spontaneous about going. There are only 31 questions and you only find out the answers when it's all over. So the event only took about an hour and a half, perfect for a working yuppie on the go like myself. Although...being so short it lacked that "then your whole evening is gone" quality that I usually seek out in my amusement choices. The questions were tough but fair. The bar is a bit hard to get to, you have to take the B61 bus or bike there. On the bar's website they advocate taking cabs(!) It's nice for the people who live in the neighborhood. The Pioneer Bar is right next door. Bait and Tackle's decor is more like "hunting and fishing." They have a bunch of taxidermy and lots of flotsam and jetsam (literally). As convincing as the layer of dust covering it is, it feels a little forced to me. I'd rather be at Sunny's where the dust is real and the built-up tchotckes were added gradually instead of just before the opening. Well what can you do? New bars can't be old right away. I was still more comfortable there than at the Dakota Roadhouse, where I went on Saturday.

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, February 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that place was weird. There were guys in black-and-white striped shirts like French sailors from the movies. Upon interrogation, it seemed they weren't sailors at all, just trying to "express how I feel." Eww! Also, the jukebox wasn't very good. But the beers were only $4, so I think I'll be a regular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home