Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Poor Man's Fire Island

A few Sundays ago I took the train and the bus down to Jacob Riis Park, at the west end of Rockaway. I found that on the east side of the park, there was a Fire Island Diaspora settled, with flags flying. A little further on, it's "clothing optional." Psst! I accidentally took a picture of naked people because I didn't notice them at first. (not shown.) There's a big beautiful bathhouse building that's been under renovation for fifty years now. It must have been beautiful when it was built. This satellite bathhouse looked a little like the Olympic Stadium in Berlin to me.
Here's where I went swimming. I kept getting hit with jellyfish, but I was just relieved to see that they weren't condoms. In all, a lovely outing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home