Thursday, September 29, 2005

more media mentions

My friends are all over the media today! Heather has two blurbs running in the New York Press' "Best of Manhattan" issue: "Best Banjo Player Who Sings About Hoboes" (Al Duvall, obvs.) and...I'm not sure what the other one is, might be "Best Place to Hear NYC's Oldest Choir"? She got no byline, dammit! Plus they axed like 10 more of her blurbs that they were going to publish.

In the New York Times, Josh, Karl, and Alison are all featured in an article about spelling bees in the Thursday Styles section. Counterfactual: Karl and Alison are not just bf/gf, they're enGAged! But I bet they told the interviewer they were just friends. There was a spelling bee last night. Cablevision News 12 Brooklyn sent a reporter, who filmed us for a little while. Today it's airing as part of their continuing news cycle. If you have a Cablevision account number or an optonline email account, you can log in at their site and listen to an audio feed. If you have Cablevision in Brooklyn, I wish you would love me enough to tape it. I think it's like a minute long. But I listened to the feed for 30 minutes and it played twice.

Also, since when you google Freddy's Spelling Bee you get a mean-spirited comment from April 2005 comparing it negatively to the Pete's Bee, I think we should have a letter writing campaign to balance it out and/or overwhelm that mean meanie. Ok so maybe we're annoying spazzes. What do you want from a spelling bee? Maybe I shouldn't, after losing, cry out "I WIN!" after correctly spelling "cromlech" and some other word in my head while the contestants were getting them wrong, but it's all in the spirit of fun. Results: Aforementioned banjo artist Al Duvall won the first Bee of the night, and I WON! the second one. Fred (no relation to Freddy) won a cookie.

2 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, September 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! So, as you advised, I tuned in to Channel 12 tonight for a full cycle of news -- but the bee was never mentioned. I didn't get a chance until 11pm though, and by that point they were talking about news that happened *today*...so I guess they change it more than once every 24 hours. Shocking but true.

 
At 5:03 PM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Kathy said...

Mothafucka! My comment on Gothamist was deemed inappropriate and removed! I will have to enmilden and bowdlerize it...do you think the problem was calling the previous commenter "smelly" instead of "spelly"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home