Wednesday, January 05, 2005

brushes with fame

I the spirit of Gawker Stalker, only even more pathetic and possibly more humorous, I want to list here all the celebrity sightings I've ever had in my life. I will add yours too if you want.
Passed Chris Noth on 6th Ave near 59th.
Passed John C. McGinley from "Scrubs" up by the Polo Store.
Watched Elizabeth Rohm's (Serena on Law & Order) nanny feed baby an avocado while show was filming in Madison Square Park.
Sam Waterston attended ex-boyfriend's sister's wedding. (I was there too.)
Passed Beck on 41st St. At first, thought he was Nils. He stared at my white swiss miss hat.
I swear I saw Lizzie Grubman crossing Broadway and 34th.
Sat in same room as Samm Levine (Neal on Freaks & Geeks) while watching standup comedy on Upper West Side.
See Eugene Mirman, standup comedian, nearly every time I go to 5th Ave in Park Slope.
See Tom Verlaine nearly every time I go to therapy, since he lives near there.
Stephen Malkmus was forced to make eye contact with me in order to interrupt my conversation with someone.
Hung out on basement floor with Wendy Stanzler, editor on "Sex in the City."
Learned Mah-Jong from assistant fashion stylist on "Sex in the City."
Another ex-boyfriend was babysat by David Fair of Half Japanese. I shook hands with Jad Fair.
Saw Laurie Anderson, David Byrne and Lou Reed at art opening.
Consistently fail to notice presence of Chloe Sevigny at rock shows and parties where she is present.
A boy at my parents' church used to date Natalie Portman.
Saw Gregory Hines on Lower Broadway yelling up to be let into a building.
One time my mom followed Fred Astaire down the street.
She also met Duke Ellington and he gave her concert tickets and then she and her family were in a New York Times photo of the concert.
My dad tried to impersonate a fireman on "To Tell the Truth."
He was also chums with I.M. Pei's uncle.
My brother is buddies with Mike Fincke, who lived on the International Space Station.
Played pool with Jon Fishman of Phish. He was pretty good.
Saw U2 giving concert on flatbed truck going down 7th Ave.
Saw Michael Kors and models on flatbed truck going down Broadway.
Saw Alek Wek coming from Michael Kors trunk show.
Sat near Bill Beutel (or was it Bill Boggs?) having lunch at Aquavit.
Saw Ron Howard playing with his children in the park in my hometown.
Watched Ethan Hawke push his child on the swings and monkey around with the other kids in Union Square Park.
Lived a few doors down from Kate Moss. She had an amazing roof garden which no one ever used.
Helped cat-sit for Martha Plimpton. (I didn't meet her...sorry Martha, I swear I didn't go through your things, and I didn't have your housekey.)
Met Sara Gilbert (Darlene on "Roseanne") in my freshman dorm.
Met Lecy Goranson (Becky on "Roseanne") at the International Bar.
Passed Bjork coming out of Barnes and Noble Union Square.
Wrote Chuck Klosterman an email about his Esquire article about friendster, got an email back.
A couple I fell in love with during my short time in DC was recently discussed in a travel feature in Budget Living!
Shook hands with Seamus Heaney.
Chatted with Steve Reich about how I was setting up to tape his presentation.
Took a course with David Schiff.
Lindsay Brien from Real World Seattle (now of CNN) was in a small film class that I showed clips for. I sat near her a lot.
Drank beer with and got hit on by Dr. Demento.
Met Uncle Junior's doctor on The Sopranos at a bar.
Talked to a guy in a bar for a while and found out he'd been in a Hershey's commercial. Would rather he had asked for my number.
A girl in my high school was part of the "Gitano Family" ad campaign. They weren't really family! Scandal!
At the Aspen Animal Shelter I walked a husky who had just shot a Jones New York ad campaign with Claudia Schiffer.
Michael Stipe sat on the other end of a pool table from me at the "Tranny Shack" show in San Francisco.
I saw singer Rebecca Gates in the aisle at Kienow's supermarket.
I know Zelda the dog, who was on the cover of The Onion.
I had a date with Don Wood of PBS's "Colonial House."
I met Scott Morgan from The Rationals in Ann Arbor.
I have seen Iggy Pop's high school yearbook photos.
Shook hands with Davie Allan, surf guitar legend.
Saw John Flansburgh walking down Sixth with strangely shaped instrument cases.
Saw Stephin Merritt outside movie theater on 3rd Ave.
Went to novelist Andrew Sean Greer's Halloween party.
I knew the two cute girls on the cover of Team Dresch's album "Personal Best."
We were also friends with Jo from Le Tigre. God, I used to be so cool!
Moby was the DJ at the teenage goth "nightclub" at the Episcopal church in my hometown. You could get in free if you went to the bible study beforehand.
I saw Ted Kennedy at an auction in Nantucket.
I once hugged Sleepy LaBeef.
Congressman Christopher Shays' wife was my sixth grade teacher.
I went to school with the daughter of WNET chairman Bill Baker.
I passed Isabella Rossellini on the Upper West Side, walking with a beautiful teenage boy on rollerblades. She is even more beautiful in person.
Followed Chief Justice William Rehnquist (and his secret service) around exhibit of Presidential artifacts at the Museum of American History (before opening hours).
James Gandolfini at the Ear Inn.
Sat next to Yo La Tengo outside the Ear Inn (different visit).
At BAM Harvey, Phillip Seymour Hoffmann, Lauren Bacall, and Martha Stewart were sitting in the same row in the audience!
I saw my first internet date on the way to meet my last internet date. The augury inherent in the event is one of the many reasons why I have not had another interdate.
In 3rd grade, I was quoted in my hometown paper as saying "I don't like big rooms," because, um, my school was closing and the new school had an "open space" design with 4 classes in one big room. Even then I thought I came off sounding dumb.
In 10th or 11th grade, I was pictured in my hometown paper holding a "No Nukes" sign. I don't think it gave my name.
There is an out of print CD (that I don't own) of a concert in which I sang a song. (uncredited.)
I took a photo of a band that was printed in The Rocket. However the photo was misattributed to the author of the article.
I was quoted (no name given) in the New York Press as saying "I'm dressed as a child, if that helps," in an article about the cancelled spelling bee at Freddy's Bar. The author asserted that I was wearing "flood pants," when in fact as we all know they are Angus Young shorts.
There is audio of me (uncredited) talking about "futilism" as a viable life strategy , and misspelling the word "sacrilegious" on NPR's "The Next Big Thing."
Clearly I am overdue for some (credited) public recognition!

5 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, January 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who cares? they are just people, just like you or the guy who works at your library. there is nothing special about them that makes super people, they just have a more unique job. wow. the end.

 
At 3:17 PM, January 06, 2005, Blogger Josh said...

How totally fucking wrong Anon is! I mean give me a break! "They are just like us"?! RIGHT.

 
At 10:14 AM, January 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny -- my dad was ALSO on "To Tell the Truth." He played a West Point cadet.

Noise Footprint

 
At 8:11 PM, January 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, how did you get to cat-sit for martha plimpton?

 
At 2:20 PM, January 25, 2005, Blogger Kathy said...

Haha that's a funny story. I can't really explain any detail of it without compromising someone's right to privacy. She needed a cat-sitter. She got one. I stayed over a few nights with the person rather than staying with my parents. That's about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home